How to Begin Writing a New Essay
1. Select the Practice tab. The Practice Writing page displays.
2. Click on a prompt title under Recommended by your Teacher or Other.
3. If you have an essay in-progress you will see a pop-up message with options to start a new essay, revise your essay, or cancel.
4. Read the prompt description and click the link(s) to view stimulus material, if provided.
5. If you would like to—or have been instructed to—complete a graphic organizer before beginning to write your essay, click Prewriting.
6. Select a graphic organizer by clicking on it, then click Next.
7. Fill in the graphic organizer and click Next.
8. The Displaying feature allows you to show your graphic organizer or hide it.
9. Add a title for your essay, if you choose, and then type your essay in the text field.
- Text can be copied and pasted into the text box from the graphic organizer or a word processing document.
10. If desired, enter source details in the Cited Sources text box.
11. For schools only: In the Messages text box, you can leave a question or comment that your teacher will see. Click Post Message to submit.
12. Click Save and Quit to return later to continue your essay draft or click Submit to submit your essay for scoring.